Tuesday 18 August 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Auto-Buy Authors

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish that other bloggers are welcome to join in, to create Top Ten lists on varying topics. This week it’s ten authors whose books go straight on your auto-buy list!

Laini Taylor – I’ve just finished rereading the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy for my blog. I’d forgotten how utterly breathtaking and incredible it it! I’m in awe of Laini Taylor’s imagination and her beautiful writing style. If I wore a hat (which I never do since I can never find any that fit over my enormous hair) I’d take it off to her. Anything she writes in the future is going straight to pre-order!

Kristin Cashore – Loved Graceling, liked Fire, didn’t enjoy Bitterblue, but there’s something about Kristin Cashore’s gorgeous world building and wonderful characters that would make me snap up anything she writes in the future.

Laura Dockrill – I’ve just finished reading Lorali (described by Hot Keys Books as 40% mermaids, 20% true love, 20% danger and 20% liberty) which I utterly adored, even though it made me cry in public. Laura is currently writing another book and whatever it is, it is going on the TBR list!

Diana Gabaldon – The Outlander series is one of my faves – although I wish I hadn’t watched the series finale on Amazon Prime. Jeez, I thought I cried enough when reading the book!

Natsuo Kirino – One of my favourite authors. Her books lean more towards gritty realism than the fantasy that’s my usual preference, but her stories always feature women constrained by their roles in Japanese society - something I’ve long been fascinated with. The Japanese to English translations don’t always come across perfectly though.

Kate Mosse – With magic, history and kick ass heroines, I’m obsessed with the Languedoc trilogy – Labyrinth, Sepulchre and Citadel – so much so that I’m making the trip to France early next year to see the sites that inspired the books. I just hope I remember to drive on the right side of the road when I get there!

Leigh Bardugo – Because of the Grisha trilogy. I’m (im)patiently waiting for the release of Six of Crows. Come on September!

Rebecca Chance – I love a good flashy chick-lit book, and Rebecca Chance always delivers! There’s none of the magic or fantasy or world building that I usually go for, but I can’t get enough of them!

Maria V Snyder – I loved each and every book in the Poison, Glass and Touch series’ (I haven’t read Inside Out yet…) which tick every box for me in the magic, mystery and romance categories.

Stephen King – The Master of Horror. The Shining is the only book I’ve read other than The Woman In Black by Susan Hill that genuinely freaked me out. I almost did a Joey from Friends and put the book in the freezer. And you can’t beat Gerard’s Game for weird and freaky. I struggled to explain exactly what I was reading when somebody asked me!

What about you guys? Who makes your auto-buy list?

4 comments:

  1. Yay Maria!!! She's one of my most favorite authors ever!! I loved all her books as well! Only sadden that Inside Out had to end without ever getting a final ending! It read like a trilogy. Things were left up in the air after Outside In and I wished there could've been room for more!

    Do still read and review them! With enough reader interest, we can so totally get a third book! I've seen it happen!! Even after years! ;)

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will, I hope their as good as Poison, Glass etc!

      Delete
  2. I just read the first book in the Daughter of Smoak and Bone trilogy, and I loved it! Can't wait to read the rest of the series! I'm sure after I finish it, Laini Taylor will become an auto-buy author for me as well. Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth it. I'm just about to post my review of the third and final book, I'd recommend it to anyone. Your list has given me a load more authors I need to check out!

      Delete